HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,255 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Why Isn't The Book of Jasher a Part of the Bible? [Re: Darius] #87540
04/04/07 05:18 PM
04/04/07 05:18 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Originally Posted By: Darius
Kevin, I did not imply that you were in error, only that it was a good example of spin. Nothing is going to make us change our view of this ancient book written by goat herders.

What ancient book written by goat herders?

Re: Why Isn't The Book of Jasher a Part of the Bible? [Re: crater] #87557
04/04/07 11:01 PM
04/04/07 11:01 PM
Kevin H  Online Content
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
While I do not wish to put words into Darius' mouth, and may be wrong, I have the impression that he's talking about our subconscious tradition which pictures the Bible as God takes from these simple people in the middle east and puts some in a trance where God uses them as his pen to write for us the Bible, and that these words have been magically perserved for us.

When people learn that it is more complicated than our nice little mental picture,(such as the uproar about Mrs. White) and and when other ideas that come up that do not fit our tradition, even if they dovetail our tradition, people would rather hold on to the tradition than the facts.

Re: Why Isn't The Book of Jasher a Part of the Bible? [Re: Kevin H] #87566
04/05/07 01:56 AM
04/05/07 01:56 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
I can always appreciate learning the facts. Maybe this is off topic abit, but not too long ago I found myself excited about reading a magazine called "Biblical Archeology Review" which was pretty good, and I may consider subscribing to it to learn more.
Sorry if I digressed, but truth is able to withstand any scrutiny, and we should be humble enough to learn and grow.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Why Isn't The Book of Jasher a Part of the Bible? [Re: Will] #87571
04/05/07 04:53 AM
04/05/07 04:53 AM
Kevin H  Online Content
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
Bible Archaeology Review (BAR) is a forum for liberals, conservatives and a large number of moderates. Sadly too many subscribe expecting it to be a forum for conservatives only, and to find all three groups is quite disconserning and they often cancel with some very strong language.

But this is a very important tool in studying the Bible. Some tools are more important, but this one is more geered towards the layman than other studies are, and if it does not make sense at first, eventually it will. And there are BAR readers here willing to chat. I'm guilty in that my subscriptian slipped a couple of years ago, and I had not read always the way I should, but I wish that every Adventist home had a BAR subscription.

Even in the articles by liberals you can often find some of the facts in the evidence they present that you can take out of their liberal framework and apply to moderate and sometimes even conservative frameworks.

Re: Why Isn't The Book of Jasher a Part of the Bible? [Re: Kevin H] #87573
04/05/07 06:20 AM
04/05/07 06:20 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Originally Posted By: Kevin H
While I do not wish to put words into Darius' mouth, and may be wrong, I have the impression that he's talking about our subconscious tradition which pictures the Bible as God takes from these simple people in the middle east and puts some in a trance where God uses them as his pen to write for us the Bible, and that these words have been magically preserved for us.

When people learn that it is more complicated than our nice little mental picture,(such as the uproar about Mrs. White) and and when other ideas that come up that do not fit our tradition, even if they dovetail our tradition, people would rather hold on to the tradition than the facts.

Thought there was a tiny possibility that he was referring to the "Book of Jasper".:D

But I did think he was being a bit disparaging toward the House of Jacob. Goat herders?

Though I don't think a persons occupation has any sway with the Creator. (God is no respecter of persons) I wasn't under the impression that many if any books of sacred scripture were written by goat herders, though some did tend to some sheep at some time in their life, it wasn't their main calling. I find that being out in nature every day you can learn a lot about our Creator. There is so much to observe. Most people miss out on it.

It is my understanding that first 5 books of scripture were written by a man who was brought up in the household of the Pharaoh of Egypt. Several other books were written by kings, another by a prime minister of two major world kingdoms. Other books were written by a tax collector, a physician, a tent maker, and fishermen. Though I could be wrong. (I suppose the "higher critics" would disagree with me.)

Re: Why Isn't The Book of Jasher a Part of the Bible? [Re: crater] #87646
04/06/07 09:50 PM
04/06/07 09:50 PM
Kevin H  Online Content
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
Crater: Although we know about the actual roles of the authors, there still tends to be a subconscious trend that the Bible was written by simple uneducated people. Often there is a trend to want to use the Bible's words to prove their ideas, and thus tend to avoid and put down education, so they have an unconscious trend to want to make the Bible writers overly simplistic so that it is more of a miricle that they could produce the Bible...

This is also related to how in the 20th century we like to take Mrs. White's third grade of FORMAL education as a proof of the miricle of her inspiration. Most people in the 1800s did not have much formal education, and a large number of educated people studied on their own, and Mrs. White was very well read, thus very well educated far beyond her formal education.

As to Higher Critics... Sorry for being so picky here, but technically the phrase would be the Modernists Biblical Scholarship. They like to use Higher Criticism to try to prove that the Bible is of human orgin. But Higher Criticism was developed a century before the Modernists came, was designed by believers. Higher Criticism is no more than studying the editing, writing styles, and sources of the text. (It is interesting on how the Adventist Theological Society says that they do not want to use higher criticism in any form when it comes to the study of the Bible, but the members and leaders freely use higher criticism in studying Ellen White.)

Re: Why Isn't The Book of Jasher a Part of the Bible? [Re: Johann] #87823
04/11/07 10:52 PM
04/11/07 10:52 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Originally Posted By: Johann
Although I never made a study of the subject, I must admit I do not have much confidence in that Book of Jasher as translated by Joseph Smith. Has anyone else ever seen the original Hebrew text he claims to base his translation on? Is it merely a fake product made to support the Book of Mormons?

I have my serious doubts that this Book of Jasher is the one mentioned elsewhere in Scripture. It is merely produced because such a book is mentioned there, a book which is lost?

Johann, in doing a quick review of the intro to Book of Jasher as well as from my reading on Mormonism, I am not under the impression that the book is part of LDS "scripture".

From LDS publications, it seems that The Book of Jasher has been popular among members of the L.D.S. Church as a supplement to the Old Testament. The L.D.S. Church has never taken an official stand on the authenticity of the Book of Jasher.

It is my impression that "Hope of Israel Ministries" is who put the book on the web. Mr. Simpson may be a part of that group. I haven't had the time to read the book for myself yet.

How Sefer Hayasher has Come Down to Us, By Wayne Simpson, http://jasher.com/Jashist.htm

The BOOK OF JASHER REFERRED TO IN JOSHUA AND SECOND SAMUEL. FAITHFULLY TRANSLATED (1840) FROM THE ORIGINAL HEBREW INTO ENGLISH
SALT LAKE CITY: PUBLISHED BY J.H. PARRY & COMPANY 1887.

Introduction: The Authentic Annals Of The Early Hebrews - Is It The "Real" Book of Jasher? Here are a few quotes from MR. Wayne Simpson, whom apparently reprinted the book.

Quote:
The Authentic Annals Of The Early Hebrews - Is It The "Real" Book of Jasher?

The first step in dealing with the question of authenticity is to simply read the book with an open mind. One cannot effectively investigate the matter unless he is familiar with it. After all, according to Solomon, "He who answers a matter before he hears it, It is folly and shame to him". (Proverbs 18:13). The reader will find that it reads very much like the Bible, except that many passages are replete with details that are not recorded in the Bible.

There are digressions from the biblical narrative that show concurrent events in other parts of the world. There are chapters dealing wholly with events in Egypt or events in Europe. Much of this material can be recognized from other works of ancient history. To anyone familiar with ancient history, it will be obvious that Jasher places these events in a radically different time period than do conventional historians. To be sure, if Jasher be true, there needs to be a radical alteration in the conventional interpretation of ancient history, especially in the area of chronology.

There is little of consequence at variance with the Bible. There are some chronological features that differ, but these can usually be attributed to a textual error. Usually the error will be resolved by reading on. A later entry will fall into harmony with the Bible text. Remember that the ancient scrolls of this book were in poor condition when the book was printed in Hebrew in 1613. It is not unlikely that some numbers could get scrambled.

There are a couple mysterious accounts of incidents that smack of Greek or Roman mythology, such as the story of Zepho, the grandson of Esau who slew a half human monster in a large cave. This account is easily recognized as the same story as that of Theseus, who slew the minotaur. The characters and the setting are different. A critical reader may object to this material, but many valid explanations are possible concerning why this and other such events were recorded in this book. The original author may have simply reported those things because they were popular folklore of his day. Such stories are merely mentioned in passing and no significance is attached to them. Though one might doubt the veracity of these tales, there is nothing here that should dissuade an objective reader from the opinion that this book is genuine. Even the most casual reader will find Jasher enlightening. Accounts in the Bible can be made more lucid and easier to understand with the background of Jasher in mind. . . .

Finally, consider how Josephus described the Book of Jasher. He said "by this book are to be understood certain records kept in some safe place on purpose, giving an account of what happened among the Hebrews from year to year, and called Jasher or the upright, on account of the fidelity of the annals." There could be no better description of the book you see before you. The bottom line is that you, as the reader, will have to answer the question of legitimacy for yourself. Whichever side of that issue you take, I think that you will be enlightened by exploring the issue and by reading the book. If you feel as I do, that this book has the powerful credentials to commend it as the biblical Book of Jasher, you will now have in your hands an additional source to investigate when studying the Bible. You will also have much food for thought in regard to the issues of conventional chronology in ancient times. http://www.ccel.org/a/anonymous/jasher/real.htm

(c)Copyright 1997 by Wayne Simpson
Distributed by Biblical Research Foundation, 629 Lexington Road Sapulpa, OK 74066
Reproduction and distribution are permissible provided this copyright notice remains intact on all copies.

Quote:
Editors note: I suppose I can understand why you as a former Mormon would be senstitve to the issues you raise. I do not wish to become embroiled in any pro-Mormon/ anti-Mormon controversy - that is your business. But I can shed some light on the issues you raise. I can understand your suspicions, considering the dirth of critical information in the edition of Jasher that you have. The copy of Jasher which you have is a reprint of the 1887 printing by J. H. Parry & Co. of Salt Lake City, which was indeed a Mormon publisher. They purchased the copyright from the estate of M. M. Noah. This edition is a very popular printing and is the dominant one in print at this time. It is a very attractive book, but there are several key parts that were omitted by J. H Parry & Co. that were included in the 1840 edition. I cannot speculate as to the motivation of the J. H. Parry publisher for omitting these parts. Prior to the time that Artisan Sales began distributing the J. H Parry reprint, they distributed the earlier printing by the M. M. Noah publisher. This earlier edition did indeed contain the missing sections. Those sections were:

The translation of the Hebrew Preface written by the publisher of a 1550 Hebrew printing of Jasher giving the history of the survival of several Hebrew manuscripts of Jasher from which the publisher, a Italian Jewish publisher produced the first typeset printing of Jasher. It was the first time that that Jasher had been reproduced since the first century - and the first time that it was produced by other than a scribe, one copy at a time.

The English translation of the Printers Preface - by the the 1625 printer explaining how an ancient Hebrew text of Jasher (copied by a scribe named Joseph of Attiyah in 1613) ) came to be in his possession after a diligent search, and how he felt compelled to publish it. The publishing enterprise was called Signori Reformatorio del Studio de Padua"

M. M. Noah's Preface to the 1840 edition, that accompanied his printing.

And Incidentally, the Translators Preface that does appear in your edition was written by the translator, Mr. Moses Samuel, of Liverpool England in about 1839, prior to selling his translation to M. M. Noah.

Together these sections should fill in your understanding of how the Book of Jasher came down to us and it should go a long way toward quieting your suspicions.

Wayne Simpson http://www.jasher.com/Forum.htm

Quote:
The Book of Jasher has been popular among members of the L.D.S. Church as a supplement to their study of the Old Testament ever since its publication was announced in the Times and Seasons in June, 1840.[1] Because the Church is now commencing study of the Old Testament again this month, it seems appropriate to reconsider just how authentic that book really is.

The L.D.S. Church has never taken an official stand on the authenticity of the Book of Jasher, but when apostles make lists of "lost books" from the Bible, Jasher is generally included.[4] One article in the "I Have a Question" column of The Ensign responded to the question of its authenticity.[5] After reviewing the standard scholarly analysis of how the book appears to have been composed of old Jewish legends, the article concluded with the wise injunction to treat it according to the Lord's advice on how to study the Aprocrypha:

Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you concerning the Apocrypha — There are many things contained therein that are true, and it is mostly translated correctly; There are many things contained therein that are not true, which are interpolations by the hands of men. Verily, I say unto you, that it is not needful that the Apocrypha should be translated. Therefore, whoso readeth it, let him understand, for the Spirit manifesteth truth; And whoso is enlightened by the Spirit shall obtain benefit And whoso receiveth not by the Spirit, cannot be benefitted. Therefore it is not needful that it should be translated. Amen. (D&C 91:1-6)
Anyone who has read the Book of Jasher will agree that it certainly contains much truth (many stories from the Bible), and it certainly appears to contain some later interpolations of men, so reading by the Spirit seems like an excellent way to discern which is which. How Did the Book of Jasher Know?

Reprinted from Meridian Magazine (Jan. 7, 2002)
©2002 by John P. Pratt. All rights Reserved. http://www.johnpratt.com/items/docs/lds/meridian/2002/jasher.html

Re: Why Isn't The Book of Jasher a Part of the Bible? [Re: crater] #87825
04/12/07 02:09 AM
04/12/07 02:09 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Although, the Book of Jasher ( Sefer haYashar (midrash)) doesn't appear to have originated with the LDS church, it still doesn't make it authentic. The preface of the book tells the story of it's origins. "Outside of the preface to the 1625, there is no evidence to support any of this story."

Wayne Simpson says "there is little of consequence at variance with the Bible". From the little I have read of the Sefer haYashar, I see it varying more than a little.

Quote:
The Arabic connections suggest that if the preface to the 1625 version is an "exaggeration", it was then probably written by a Jew who lived in Spain or southern Italy. The work was used extensively but not especially more than many other sources in Louis Ginzberg's Legends of the Jews. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sefer_haYashar_%28midrash%29

Re: Why Isn't The Book of Jasher a Part of the Bible? [Re: crater] #87862
04/13/07 11:03 PM
04/13/07 11:03 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Interesting information.

The only way to know how it compares with the Bible and try to see if it can be determined why it isn't a part of the Bible is to read it, therefore, as time permits, I still intend to do that.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Why Isn't The Book of Jasher a Part of the Bible? [Re: Daryl] #88006
04/19/07 06:12 AM
04/19/07 06:12 AM
Kevin H  Online Content
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
Another issue is: do we actually have the real book of Jasher, or are the verses in the Bible all that was saved from it, and someone latter tried to write a book, include the verses we have and say that it is the book of Jasher?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!