HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,637
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, TheophilusOne, Karen Y, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,351 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds #88640
05/05/07 05:38 AM
05/05/07 05:38 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:
If the heart has been renewed by the Spirit of God, the life will bear witness to the fact. While we cannot do anything to change our hearts or to bring ourselves into harmony with God; while we must not trust at all to ourselves or our good works, our lives will reveal whether the grace of God is dwelling within us. A change will be seen in the character, the habits, the pursuits. The contrast will be clear and decided between what they have been and what they are. The character is revealed, not by occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds, but by the tendency of the habitual words and acts. {SC 57.2}

This statement, particularly the last sentence, is often used to support a certain view of the Christian's life. This view says that "occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds" have no real bearing on one's salvation; the important thing is the "tendency of the habitual words and acts." It is sometimes illustrated by something that looks like what stockbrokers use to graph a company's increasing value: there's a line that zig-zags up and down, but the overall trend of the line is upward. The theory proposes that as long as the trend is upward, we're in a saved condition. Even if there are minor slips and falls into sin here and there, that does not mean one slips out of his saved condition.

The prime example used is Moses hitting the rock. He had been very good for 40 years, leading the stiff-necked Israelites to the border of the Promised Land. He almost made it, but he fell in a moment of weakness. The "proof" that he was still justified and "saved" is that he was resurrected and taken to Heaven soon after his death.

Is this a reasonable theory? Are we still in a saved condition even as we fall into sin now and then, as long as we don't fall too often or too far?

My answer is NO. I do not believe the justified life is a zig-zag line of victory puntuated by defeats, but a line of continual victory. I believe that God is able to keep us from falling, and any instance of a fall into sin is evidence that God is not present. I believe that Moses' fall into sin corresponds to a fall from grace and a fall out of justification; he had to be justified again.

Most people I've discussed this with disagree with me. It seems very difficult to imagine a life of constant victory. But I believe that just as Jesus never yielded to temptation, so can it be with us.

Your thoughts, please. Especially those who think I'm off the track. If I'm wrong, I'd like to know it. And please include the Bible/SOP references for your premises.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds [Re: asygo] #88653
05/06/07 02:38 AM
05/06/07 02:38 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. (GC 543)

The exclusion from heaven of the wicked is voluntary. Would Moses have been happy in heaven, or would he have longed to flee from it? That's going to be the question for every sentient being. "Whosoever will, may come."

Do we love God? Do we love the way He is, the way He does things? Would we be happy in His presence?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds [Re: Tom] #88700
05/08/07 07:55 PM
05/08/07 07:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
"The character is revealed, not by occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds, but by the tendency of the habitual words and acts."

Arnold, I'm not so sure that this insight is talking about being lost or being saved based on our occasional good and bad deeds. Instead, it seems clear to me that she is talking about understanding the quality of ones character based on the tendency of the habitual words and acts. In other words, we can tell what a person is like based on how they normally speak and behave. It is character, not the occasional good or bad deed, that determines our future destiny. Character is the result of repetitious choices and corresponding outcomes.

Quote:
Any one act, either good or evil, does not form the character; but thoughts and feelings indulged prepare the way for acts and deeds of the same kind. It is . . . by a repetition of acts that habits are established and character confirmed. (CG 199)

It is not through one act that the character is formed, but by a repetition of acts that habits are established and character confirmed. (ST 4-30-1894)

The characters formed in this life will determine the future destiny. (4T 439)

Aside from the quote in SC 57, 58 I agree with what you posted regarding continual victory. Sinning is optional, not inevitable, for those who are choosing to abide in Jesus. In fact, they do not and cannot commit a known sin while they are consciously choosing to abide in Jesus.

Will one sin keep a believer out of heaven? It depends. Is it a cherished sin? If so, then, yes, it will keep them out of heaven. But was it an unintentional sin? That is, did it gush out of them spontaneously? If so, did they repent immediately? If they repent immediately, then, no, it will not keep them out of heaven. The only sin that will keep a person out of heaven is the one they refuse to confess and forsake.

What if a person dies before they can repent? For example, a believer looks up and sees a rock falling straight at him. He spontaneously utters an expletive just before the rock kills him. No time to repent. Is he lost or saved? I believe God knows the answer, and his future destiny is decided accordingly. If it was his tendency and habit to repent under similar circumstances, then I believe God will impute repentance and save him.

Re: occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds [Re: Mountain Man] #88718
05/09/07 12:27 AM
05/09/07 12:27 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, it seems you have agreed with my assertion several times in the past that God will take everyone to heaven who would be happy there.

Who will be happy in heaven? Those who love God, and the principles of His government. Regarding the example you gave with the falling rock, does it make any sense that a person who would utter a swear word as a reflex, who would repent if given time, would not be happy in heaven, given that He loves God and the principles of His government? I can't see any sense in that.

If a person insisted upon swearing, consciously, against the prompting of the Holy Spirit, that would be another matter, although one would think that someone with a tendency to suppress the Holy Spirit in a relatively minor like this would likely be doing so in other weightier matters as well.

In John's first epistle, it seems to me John has laid out the matter very simply. Those who have the Son have life. Those who have not the Son, have not life.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds [Re: Tom] #88742
05/09/07 03:55 PM
05/09/07 03:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes, Tom, we agree God will take people to heaven who will enjoy it there and be a blessing. However, this also applies to people, like infants and Paul's Gentiles (Rom 2:13-15), who have never named the name of Jesus. They have no idea they love Him and appreciate His law. The question, therefore, is - How can God be so sure people such as these will not rebel in heaven or in the New Earth?

Also, since this thread is about the SC 57, 58 quote concerning character, deeds, and salvation, what do you think? Do you agree with my last post?

Re: occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds [Re: Mountain Man] #88765
05/10/07 12:45 AM
05/10/07 12:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Yes, Tom, we agree God will take people to heaven who will enjoy it there and be a blessing. However, this also applies to people, like infants and Paul's Gentiles (Rom 2:13-15), who have never named the name of Jesus.

Amen!

They have no idea they love Him and appreciate His law.

I'm sure they have some idea.

The question, therefore, is - How can God be so sure people such as these will not rebel in heaven or in the New Earth?

The same way He's sure about the others; He knows their character.

Also, since this thread is about the SC 57, 58 quote concerning character, deeds, and salvation, what do you think? Do you agree with my last post?

You'll have to point out what specifically you have in mind.

Re: occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds [Re: Tom] #88776
05/10/07 02:36 AM
05/10/07 02:36 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: You'll have to point out what specifically you have in mind.

Quote:
"The character is revealed, not by occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds, but by the tendency of the habitual words and acts."

Arnold, I'm not so sure that this insight is talking about being lost or being saved based on our occasional good and bad deeds. Instead, it seems clear to me that she is talking about understanding the quality of ones character based on the tendency of the habitual words and acts. In other words, we can tell what a person is like based on how they normally speak and behave. It is character, not the occasional good or bad deed, that determines our future destiny. Character is the result of repetitious choices and corresponding outcomes.

Quote:
Any one act, either good or evil, does not form the character; but thoughts and feelings indulged prepare the way for acts and deeds of the same kind. It is . . . by a repetition of acts that habits are established and character confirmed. (CG 199)

It is not through one act that the character is formed, but by a repetition of acts that habits are established and character confirmed. (ST 4-30-1894)

Re: occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds [Re: Mountain Man] #88777
05/10/07 02:42 AM
05/10/07 02:42 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: [Peope who have never named the name of Jesus] have no idea they love Him and appreciate His law.

TE: I'm sure they have some idea.

I agree. I believe they are born with an instinctive knowledge of what is morally right and wrong as defined by the last six commandments.

Quote:
As through Christ every human being has life, so also through Him every soul receives some ray of divine light. Not only intellectual but spiritual power, a perception of right, a desire for goodness, exists in every heart. (RC 106)

Re: occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds [Re: Mountain Man] #88791
05/11/07 12:25 AM
05/11/07 12:25 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I agree. I believe they are born with an instinctive knowledge of what is morally right and wrong as defined by the last six commandments.

I gave a few examples to show this isn't the case. For example, I mentioned adultery and covetousness, that latter of which Paul specifically said he would not have known but for the law, which means that, at least for Paul, it was NOT instinctive.

Re: occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds [Re: Mountain Man] #88797
05/11/07 02:05 AM
05/11/07 02:05 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: Also, since this thread is about the SC 57, 58 quote concerning character, deeds, and salvation, what do you think? Do you agree with my last post?

TE: You'll have to point out what specifically you have in mind.

Quote:

Quote:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!